Sunday 7 September 2014

An event that has shaped my life and the person I have become.

    If the selection test for a chance to study in Singapore never happened, I would still be in China and my life will be completely different.
    I was 15 when I was given a chance to take part in the selection test arranged by Anglican High School in Singapore. At that point I had no idea of living by myself away from my family or studying abroad, I just thought the test was fun and I could gain experience from that.  Though I was not so prepared as some of my peers, I managed to pass the test and interview and got my way to Singapore after a 2 months break.
   I arrived in Singapore at night. I did not realize that I am far away from everything I am familiar with  until the next morning. No one was ever going to take care of me from then on and I need to merge into the new environment all by myself. Luckily I got another 18 of us who faced the same situation as me. Together we started to live our lives and continues our studies in this completely new place. 
  Soon it will be my eighth year in Singapore. During my time here, I learned how to take care myself and my friends, how to communicate with different people and how to live through difficult times. My past seven years in Singapore shaped my view towards many things in life and made me think differently from those who not yet have a chance to live independently.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Zidi,

    It must have been terrifying for you to be in a foreign place and far away from your family. I am glad that you are now well-adapted to Singapore's lifestyle.

    I like the way you started your reflection. It prompts readers to imagine and evaluate how your life would be like if you were to remain in China.

    Your reflection is good in showing readers how you have transformed into a better individual. I can clearly see that you are not the same 15 year old Zidi who stepped into Singapore 8 years ago.

    You reflection was well controlled. You answered the question well and stayed within the topic given.

    Thank you :)

    Diyanah


    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how things turn out, if we only took the first step to 'try'.

    I agree that sometimes reality doesn't hit you until later, like how you described your realization that you really are miles away from your country, in a totally new place. I think it must have felt daunting yet exhilarating at the same time.

    Congratulations on your (near) eighth year here! I am sure it has been a fruitful journey so far, and is only going to be better.

    I feel that your reflection is comprehensive and well explained with examples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Zidi, for sharing this reflection on a truly life-changing event. You describe fairly well the background situation that proved to be so important, though I would have liked to know a bit about the nature of the test itself. Also, how long was it before you got the results? Were you excited?

    You also provide a glimpse of your initial reaction once you were in Singapore. However, again, I'd like to see more detail here. Where did you stay initially? What shocked you most? How did you overcome any obstacles of loneliness or homesickness?

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, your verb tense usage needs some review here.

    ReplyDelete