Wednesday 27 August 2014

My English Language Learning Journey

     I was born in a second-line city of China. English,at that time,was totally alien. So when I first touched the language, I was struggling to accept anything that was related. I could not memorize the spelling of words and sometimes even their pronunciations.I failed my first few English tests with no surprise. Though I did not give up,I still could not memorize anything. Each day with English was a struggle until a friend of my father passed me a set of English tapes with a set of books that talked about lives in America. I was so attracted to the voice and the music that I started to listen to the tapes almost every second even during my sleep. Before long, I got this feeling that English was no longer my enemy but my friend. Through the tape I found my way of learning English,which was listening to the same content again and again. By doing that, I could memorize the whole textbook even before the school started.This helped me in leading my batch in learning English and eventually cleared my way to Singapore.
      After I came to Singapore, the demand of English usage went to a much higher level. I needed to write much complex essays to pass my exams and at the same time, learning Singlish to merge into the new environment. My teachers in junior college suggested that I write simple English,so that the ideas can be clearer with fewer grammatical errors. However, when my thoughts started to flow, I often found it hard to follow his suggestion. Therefore, I did not do well in my A-level general paper and was trying to avoid English writings since then. Hopefully this course will be the turning point for my English language learning journey.
(edited on 03/09/2014)

2 comments:

  1. Audio is no doubt an important part of learning English. Tapes usually contain a more accurate pronunciation as compared to listening to your peers. Thus, I am sure that it has helped you greatly as you were able to lead your batch in class.

    Overall, I feel that your reflection has a logical flow and is coherent. I hope that you won't "avoid English writings" after this course and instead, embrace it and renew your friendship with English once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Zidi, for this honest, detailed reflection. I enjoyed learning about your journey. One thing that you mentioned was how listening to tapes helped you in your "memorization" of a textbook. How did that work?

    Here are a few language issues to take note of:

    1) So when I first touch the language, I was struggling to accept anything that was related. (tense)

    2) even when during my sleep > even during my sleep

    3) no longer my enemy but my friends >>> singular / plural

    4) Through the tape I found my way of learning English,which is listening to the same content again and again. (tense)

    5) After I come to Singapore, the demand of English usage went to a much higher level. (tense)

    6) I need to write much complex essays to pass my exams (tense)

    7) I need to write much complex essays to pass my exams, meanwhile learning Singlish to merge into the new environment. (run on sentence)

    8) suggested me to write (wrong structure) > suggested that I write

    9) with less grammatical error > count versus non count nouns

    Please edit your post to get the maximum out of this exercise.

    I appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete